Wednesday 13 July 2011

A Paradigm Shift pt.1 - Motivations

In the discussion on how we support Aboriginal students, our first Paradigm Shift is in how we understand their motivations to study.

When we understand that one of the most significant motivators to return to Year 11 & 12 is closely tied to the contribution they wish to make to their Community, our whole teaching design and language of success changes!

I find it interesting when our Indigenous students struggle at school but apologize for bad behaviour always say they want to carry on at school to 'make a difference' in their community!

It is this motivation which appears to be greater for Indigenous students than that of non-Indigenous students.

No matter what we may think would be a successful outcome for a kid, when we celebrate their achievements as they work closer to their motivations to study we begin to see a difference for the way students are supported!

What motivations have you noticed in your students? I hope to continue this discussion in future posts!

1 comment:

  1. hello Chris
    My name is Kym Benson and I have a watched your Ted talk at least 10 times. I am a teacher and have just received a grant to begin a Homework club for aboriginal students at risk of failing. I have also been accepted to do my masters in philosophy (indigenous studies and research). I felt your passion as you spoke and you gave me goose bumps with the impressive results you had by teaching your students in a context that is relevant to them. I have decided to do this for my thesis - research engagement and attitude towards education by linking their learning to a context relevant to themselves and their local community in an urbanised setting. I would love to talk to you and pick your brain about your experiences. I will keep googling to try and find more contact information. Hopefully this comment post finds you. My email is kymbenson@bigpond.com and my mobile is 0439319536. I would love to hear from you and keep up the amazing work you and your team of awesome teachers are doing.

    ReplyDelete